Lodhra titled ‘Divyayushi’ which means a divine herb truly makes human health divine by curing many health-related issues. It is believed that the benefits of Lodhra were discovered a long time ago and it is used as a potent drug to arrest heavy bleeding.
Lodhra is an evergreen tree with long, oval shaped leaves. It grows to a height of about 8-10 meters and often freshens the atmosphere with the fragrance of its cream coloured flowers. The fruits of Lodhra have a tint of violet and are shelly and hard in nature.
Lodhra is found in Bihar, Malabar in Kerala and North Eastern areas of India.
The medicinal properties of Lodhra lie in its bark. It’s bitter in taste and exhibits Katu vipak and Sheet virya properties. It balances Kaphadosha and Pittadosha.
History of Lodhra
Lodhra, botanically known as Symplocos Racemosa, was anciently used in making a Tilak mark on the forehead. Hence, its name also has one of its meaning as ‘Tilak’.
Eventually, more uses were discovered and today Lodhra deals with a number of issues of the human body. Most importantly, it is used for preventing uterine prolapse or decrease uterine bleeding. Not only Ayurveda but the science of Allopathy also relies on Lodhra in these cases.
Benefits of Lodhra from the physiological aspect
The bark of Lodhra contains alkaloids. Alkaloids have vasoconstriction properties which result in constriction of blood vessels. This decreases the blood flow to the tissue or organ due to increased vascular resistance. Hence, it decreases excessive loss of blood during menstruation.
Also, the anti-inflammatory property of Lodhra is due to alkaloids. Inflammation has a physiology of vasodilation that causes rubor (redness) due to increased blood supply to the tissue. Application of Lodhra reduces the effect and provides relief.
Benefits of external application of Lodhra
- The anti-inflammatory property of Lodhra helps in cleaning and healing of wounds. Also, it enhances the action of blood clotting and hence is applied over the wounds in a paste or liquid form.
- Lodhra improves skin texture and reduces acne. Applying Lodhra on face helps in reducing wrinkles and also tightens the skin/revitalizes the skin cells.
- Lodhra is known to treat oral problems related to bleeding gums or mouth ulcers. Gargling with water enriched with decoction of bark of Lodhra provides relief from oral problems.
Compilation with Lodhra
- Add some Lodhra powder and honey and make a paste.
- Apply the paste on the gums or ulcers for relief.
- Problems related to the eyes also find relief after application of Lodhra. It relieves itching and reddening of eyes.
Working of Lodhra on Body Systems
- Digestive system – Lodhra, due to its carminative and digestive properties helps in treating a number of digestive system disorders. It prevents fluid loss from the GIT (gastrointestinal tract) and hence used in treatment of diarrhoea and dysentery. It is also useful in relieving conditions like bloating since it contains anti-flatulent properties that reduces formation of gas.
- Respiratory system – Many respiratory system disorders are due to imbalance in Kaphadosha. Lodhra helps in balancing Kaphadosha and is proven in Ayurveda to cure cough related respiratory diseases. Alkaloids also exhibit anti-asthmatic properties. Lodhra, consisting of alkaloids, also exhibits them and hence is used as a potent medicine in treating asthma.
- Reproductive system – Lodhra is well-known to give good results in treating excessive blood loss during menstruation. In conditions of uterine prolapse, it is used in local tampons. Also, Lodhra is used in the treatment of leucorrhea.
- Vascular system – Lodhra has blood purifying properties. It improves the circulation and aids in removing toxins from the blood.
- Epistaxis – Epistaxis is referred to the bleeding from the nose. According to ayurveda, the cause of epistaxis lies in aggravation of Pittadosha. Since, Lodhra is known to balance Pittadosha it relieves the symptoms and cause of epistaxis.
Compilation with Lodhra
- Take 1 teaspoon of Lodhra with plain water.
- Regular use reduces symptoms of epistaxis.
Lodhra and Nari Sondarya Malt
At Amrutam, we present Nari Sondarya Malt that contains Lodhra in its prime formulation.
Problems like skin infections, acne and poor complexion are a result of aggravated Pittadosha in the body. Lodhra balances Pittadosha and hence is an amazing solution for your skin problems. Also, the anti-oxidant properties of Lodhra protects the skin cells and lessens the harm caused due to free radicals. This also delays ageing. It’s blood purifying properties also contribute to reducing skin infections.
The Nari Sondarya Malt safeguards the benefits of Lodhra and hence gifts you with inner and outer beauty.
The authentic ayurvedic formulation of Nari Sondarya Malt contains Ashoka, Lodhra, Shatavari and Gokhru. Enriched with the benefits of all these ayurvedic herbs, it provides you with a complete package of care and health.
The Nari Sondarya Malt is available in the packs of 200 and 400 grams.
Directions to use:
One of two tablespoons with water or milk, twice a day.
For special results, it can be consumed in the dose of one or two spoons with 100-200 ml water.
However, diabetic patients aren’t recommended this product. Also, consultation of your physician before use is recommended.
Possible side-effects due to excessive use of Lodhra
When consumed in the right amounts, Lodhra is completely safe to consume. However, excessive Lodhra may cause noticeable health issues. Since Lodhra works on gynaecological problems, one of its property includes increasing progesterone levels and decreasing testosterone levels. Hence, excessive consumption of Lodhra by men might cause an anti-androgen effect.
Consumption of Lodhra for a long duration during pregnancy isn’t advised.
It isn’t recommended to consume Lodhra on empty stomach since abdominal heaviness, constipation and nausea are certain problems that may recur.
Ayurvedic Compilations of Lodhra available commercially
- Lodhra Powder – 2 grams twice a day. Recommended to consume along with milk.
- Liquid extract (Kwath) – 50 ml twice a day.
- Lodhrasav – 20 ml twice a day.
As its name suggests, Lodhra makes life divine by treating many health issues. Go ahead and try Lodhra!
This article is inspired by the writings and information from the books Dravyagun Vidnyan and Charak Sanhita.