Scientific Name: Eclipta prostrata or Eclipta alba
Common Name: False Daisy, Bhringraja, Bhangra, Bhangraya
Parts Used: Whole Plant
Description: It is a creeper, annual, erect and grows in moist places all over the world. It is native to India and Southwest America. It is found throughout India in paddy growing fields. It belongs to the sunflower family. There are 4 varieties of Bhringraj based on the colour of their flower. Most common is white Eclipta alba. White and yellow varieties are extensively used in Ayurvedic medicines.
Nutrient Profile: It contains several phytochemicals such as coumestans, alkaloids, polyacetylenes, thiophene derivatives, steroids, sterols, flavonoids and triterpenes.
Ayurvedic perspective: It is an effective home remedy used for centuries. Bhringraj balances Vata and Kapha doshas. It has several properties like pungency, bitterness, light, dry, hot and is an aphrodisiac. It also balances pitta dosha in the body. It is considered as Rasayana and helps in rejuvenation. As per Ayurveda, the main action of Bhringraj is it promotes hair growth, improves skin complexion, increases eyesight and is a hepatic stimulant.
Bhringraj has amazing health benefits, not just for your hair but for your body in many ways. It is well known for its benefits in hair growth and liver disorders. Let’s see its medicinal uses below-
- Bhringraj literally means ‘king of hair, widely known as hair-vitalizing herb’ and its important property is to rejuvenate hair, promote hair growth and reduce greying.
- Bhringraj is used in treating hepatitis, jaundice and liver enlargement. It has the ability to protect the liver from damage by harmful chemicals. It promotes overall liver health.
- It relieves pain be it migraine or toothache or muscular pain. Bhringraj is used for fighting pain, inflammation and swelling. It comes handy in day to day aches and pains.
- It soothes the stomach and treats indigestion, constipation issues. It fights dysentery and stomach ulcers too.
- It is used to treat skin diseases, brighten and improve your skin complexion. One can use it to tackle boils and also deal with eczema.
- Bhringraj is good for your heart. It controls blood pressure levels and regulates cholesterol and helps in reducing triglycerides levels.
- Bhringraj boosts your immunity and protects your body and it improves memory.
- It balances sugar levels and helps in reducing blood sugar, thereby manages diabetes.
- It also has anticonvulsant properties and so used to treat epilepsy since ancient times.
- Traditionally, Bhringraj is used to treat snakebite, scorpion stings and research suggests it can inhibit venom on the administration of decoction of the whole plant.
Amrutam presents you with exclusive haircare recipe Bhringraj Hair Therapy which will solve all your hair problems and leave your locks healthy and lustrous. So, grab one quickly for maintaining good healthy hair.