We all want a perfect and healthy body to make our personality better without using any harsh chemicals and products that can cause a negative impact on the body in the long term. One of the main attraction when it comes to personality is our hair but in today’s life we all work in dirt and pollution, we all face the problem of dry, unhealthy and unhygienic hair. So what can we do to get the perfect and clean hair? Ayurveda has given us an amazing solution which is the Indian soapberry or Arishtak or Reetha.
|Scientific name||Sapimdus Mukorossi|
|Common names||Reetha, Arishtak, Indian soapberry, washnut, Aristha, Kottai etc.|
|Habitat||Lower foothills and mid hills of the Himalayas|
How is it helpful for hair?
- Arishtak means a berry that contains the compound of saponin, which has natural cleansing properties and creates lather and due to its soapy foam, it is used for cleaning the hair.
- It can be used for the removal of dandruff or lice as it helps in removing them from the scalp because it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- It is also helpful for people who have dry hair problem or dryness of the scalp because of its moisturizing properties.
- It makes the hair stronger and reduces the chances of hair loss after multiple uses.
- If you want to have non-frizzy and soft hair you can also apply it or even for curing the split ends problem. It also reduces the effect of hard water on the hair.
- If someone does not want to use shampoo that contains harmful chemicals then Arishtak is the best substitute.
- Arishtak helps in detangling the hair and make the hair more smooth and silky, which other chemical-based shampoos fail to do.
Fun fact – due to its low PH level it does not affect the natural oils of the hair, unlike other chemical-based shampoos. So it keeps the natural oil which helps in much beautiful hair.
DIY Arishtak/Reetha Shampoo
All the properties that we need from this tree when we want to use it for our hair, comes from its fruits that anyone can buy from a grocery store. Once you get its fruits all you need to do is follow these 10 steps given below:
- Take 6-7 Arishtak fruits for elbow-length hair. You can have more or less of these fruits according to the length of your hair.
- Take a bowl and put all the fruits of Aristhak into it and add one cup of water to this bowl.
- Leave the bowl overnight so that you can take out all the seeds of it. You might find it difficult to remove the seeds without this step.
- Remove the seeds of Arishtak fruit from it the next day.
- Use a spoon to mash the remaining fruit that has been soaked in the water overnight.
- Take this bowl and put it on a boil.
- Put this bowl aside after a boil. Mash it again after the product cools down so that you do not burn your hands.
- Strain the product to avoid unwanted substances in your product.
- Put the strained product into a bottle.
- Use the product while washing your hair
- Tridosha property – it contains this property which helps in balancing all the three doshas that are Vata, Pitta and Kapha. As it has a bitter taste and vitamins in it. It also has immense Kapha pacifying qualities.
- Skin impurities – this ayurvedic magic tree not only helps in hair growth but it is also helpful for the body like one can use its seeds to remove the pimples and acne. It also helps in keeping the skin hydrated due to its moisturising properties. It also gives a cool effect to the skin after a wash from this herb.
Want to know a professional yoga instructor’s favorites?
- Cures snake bites – it helps in curing venom, the strong anti-venom property of this tree is used to cure the snake bite and scorpion bite. When it is mixed with jaggery it becomes a strong anti-venom herb.
- Works as a detergent – as it creates lather it helps to clean the clothes. Even for centuries, people have been using it for washing textiles.
5. Helps in addiction to tobacco – this herb is used for reducing the craving for tobacco as well when it is used multiple times.
A multipurpose herb isn’t it? The herb that can be used in every way possible, especially as a cleanser for your hair and skin. Not only that but one can also use it for different diseases or health issues. Now use the benefits of Arishtak and make your hair much more healthy without damaging it from any harmful chemicals.
References – Reetha : benefits, precautions and dosage