Hormonal imbalance, irregular periods, abnormal menstrual cycles, weight gain, hair loss, facial hair, skin pigmentation – have you experienced any of these?
These symptoms define a health condition that affects 10 million females in the world.
You might have heard PCOS/PCOD. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) or Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) is a common female health disease, the cause of which is still not clear. PCOS is also a major cause of infertility.
Despite the name, some people do not have cysts on their ovaries. It affects the body both physically and emotionally. Remarkably, many people are suffering and fighting back the disease. But you don’t have to worry as it is treatable and there are several alternatives than popping a pill.
Would you believe me if I say that few solutions are right in your kitchen? Coconut oil, Cinnamon, Fenugreek seeds, Basil leaves, Honey, Amla, Cumin water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Green Tea, Jamun are most easily available home remedies. Dietary changes combined with lifestyle changes and exercise is a perfect remedial combination to deal with PCOS.
Ayurveda corrects the imbalance of the doshas, so has a definite cure for PCOS but there are certain do’s and don’ts that you must strictly follow.
Although, there are many herbs that can potentially help in treating PCOS, here are the most effective Ayurvedic herbs that work miraculously in curing PCOS.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) – A female tonic rich source of vitamins A, B1, B2, C, E, Folic acid and minerals- phosphorous, calcium and iron. It is a perfect antioxidant that protects the reproductive system.
- Gokhru (Tribulus terrestris) – an aphrodisiac, known to promote ovulation in women & hence ideal for PCOS. Helps in decreasing the cyst size, controls diabetes, and is a natural diuretic.
- Ashoka (Saraca indica) – helps in repairing the endometrium and heals inflammation around the lining.
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) – highly beneficial in reducing uterine disorders, regulates ovarian hormones and improves fertility.
Amrutam Ayurveda has developed a special formulation ‘Nari Soundarya Malt’ containing all the above 4 herbs- Shatavari, Gokhru, Ashoka & Lodhra, which is an excellent remedy for PCOS.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) – A powerful anti-inflammatory herb; regulates blood sugar levels, boosts immunity, and boosts female sex drive. It also has a rejuvenating effect.
- Triphala – The combination formulation of Amalaki, Haritaki, & Bibhitaki is great as it has cleansing, detoxifying and antioxidant properties.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) – natural energizer and controls mood swings.
- Shilajit (purified Asphaltum) – boosts immunity and energy levels. It also rejuvenated the female reproductive system.
- Aloe vera – One spoon of Aloe vera juice will regulate your menstrual cycles & balance ovarian hormones.
Besides the herbal medicines, Ayurveda focuses on Panchakarma for PCOS. Panchakarma therapy is beneficial as it regulates hormone secretions, improves metabolism, regulates insulin production and enhances fertility. It’s a deep cleansing and detoxification process that promotes good mental health and rejuvenates you inside out. [Read more about Panchakarma.]
Daily exercise, yoga, meditation, healthy eating, must be your routine. Now that you know the kitchen hacks for PCOS, you can stop popping the pills and start utilizing the home remedies. You can switch to Ayurvedic herbs for medication but with proper guidance.