Scientific Name: Bacopa monnieri
Common Name: Brahmi, Bacopa, Nirbrahmi, ‘herb of grace’ in English.
Parts Used: Leaves
It is a perennial, creeping herb that grows in wetlands and marshy places. It is native to India, an edible plant that grows up to 6 inches in height with small oval shaped leaves which are succulent and thick. Brahmi has been widely used in traditional Indian systems of medicine – Ayurveda.
The active compounds are alkaloids, sterols, saponins, betulic acid, stigmasterol, beta-sitosterol, bacoside & bacopa-saponins. It contains compounds called Bacosides that comprise a family of 12 analogues.
Brahmi name is derived from Lord Brahma, represents the creative energy of the Earth. It has been used for over 3000 years or more in India. It is considered as the main rejuvenating herb for brain & nerve cells in Ayurvedic medicine.
Bacopa pacifies vata, pitta and kapha, so considered as ‘tridoshic’. It is suited for overall strengthening and energy promotion. It cleanses the system by eliminating all toxins and enhances the quality of Sadhaka pitta which directly influences the nature of consciousness. Ancient Ayurvedic texts mention a remedy called ‘Brahmi Rasayana’ that improves the nutritional status of the body.
Brahmi is also considered as a sattvic herb as it helps in increasing the clarity and subtlety of mind. It also promotes sound sleep.
Brahmi oil and/or Brahmi paste can be used to promote healthy skin, healing, hair growth, and free movement of joints. Brahmi can be taken as a tablet, powder, or as a liquid.
Brahmi is nevertheless a miraculous herb as it has several benefits, although very often it is regarded as ‘brain booster’. It is so full of antioxidants that is much essential to healthy living.
- Brahmi reduces stress, anxiety by lowering the cortisol levels, enhancing your mood and regulates the hormones associated with the stress hormone. It is considered an adaptogenic herb which means that it increases your body’s resistance to stress.
- It is used for treating Alzheimer’s disease as it is found to ease its symptoms. Studies show that Brahmi improved the cognitive capability of the brain. Research also shows that Brahmi reduces ADHD [Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder] symptoms such as hyperactivity, impulsivity, self-control and inattentiveness.
- It is commonly used as a Brain Tonic as it contains nitric oxide naturally that have positive effects in brain activity, promotes mental clarity and focus. It enhances brain functions.
- It is used to treat skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, ulceration. It is also used to treat leprosy.
- As Brahmi contains antioxidants, it can help protect against cell damage that is caused by free radicals in many chronic conditions.
- Brahmi is beneficial for hair care. It can treat dandruff, itchiness, split ends and baldness. Brahmi oil is good for treating dry scalp and is very soothing. It rejuvenates your scalp thereby prevents hair fall and promotes hair growth.
- It is useful for stomach problems such as treating stomachache, constipation and flatulence. It soothes gastric ulcers and also treats irritable bowel syndrome.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces inflammation and hence used for treating rheumatism, arthritis, gout, and other body pains.
- It benefits in respiratory problems like cough, cold, bronchitis, asthma.
- Brahmi improves concentration, memory, attention and promotes overall mental health. Amrutam offers an authentic Ayurvedic formulation Brainkey Gold Malt made with Brahmi, which is beneficial for you in improving concentration, memory, IQ levels, mental fatigue and your overall mental health.
If you consume Brahmi regularly, it will help in strengthening your immune system. Brahmi is India’s powerful herb that is a boon for our health. So, incorporate this magical herb in your life and stay healthy.