2019 Novel Corona Virus was declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organization on 30 Jan 2020. However, this is not the first time a viral outbreak has caused an alarm all around the world – the other such outbreaks being Swine Flu, Ebola and Zika.
The most common symptoms of a member from the corona virus family are respiratory such as cough, sore throat, fever and breathing difficulty. Apart from these, one might also get muscle aches, diarrhoea and vomiting. So far, it is known that severe conditions of n-CoV 2019 can result in viral pneumonia and organ failure. Such viral outbreaks usually attack a body with a weaker immune system just like a common cold or flu does.
One should note that these symptoms actually show up when your body’s immune system acts up to throw out the toxins building up in your body. Hence, it’s advised that a person should maximize his or her body’s anti-oxidant intake to stay clear of toxins. Also, it’s better to focus on building a stronger immune system to prevent infections rather than to treat them later.
During these days of unpredictable weather changes and a global outbreak of viral diseases, it’s important that we stay alert of such symptoms along with the measures to treat and prevent them.
Below listed are some ayurvedic home remedies to fight these common symptoms, in case they are mild. In severe cases of coughing and respiratory distress, it is highly recommended that you consult a physician as it is possible that the severity of the symptoms may need something stronger than the listed remedies.
- Tulsi or Holy Basil – Tulsi is considered supremely sacred in the ancient Indian system of Ayurvedic medicine. It helps in fighting off the cold symptoms such as fever, sore throat and coughing. Apart from these, tulsi has a wide range of health benefits as well. You can eat the freshly plucked leaves or make a paste out of it. Or a simple concoction can also be prepared by boiling 1-2 basil leaves in 500 ml water until it becomes half. Then, add one spoon of honey and drink it up. You can have this first thing in the morning for a couple of days and see how it works like magic.
- Pudina or Peppermint – Pudina is another herb that you can trust blindly to cure your corona virus-like symptoms. The menthol in peppermint works as a decongestant and causes the clearing out of the mucus in your airway. This herb can be used in a tea that you can drink every day to keep the symptoms away. You can also use the essential oil in a steam bath as inhaling it helps break the phlegm better. It also enhances the digestion process and alleviates headaches. If suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting, you can bank on this herb for it to get better.
- Mulethi or Liquorice Root – One of the most widely used Ayurvedic concoctions for respiratory symptoms is kadha, also known as, liquorice tea. You can prepare this tea by boiling a few sticks of liquorice in water. You can also mix a bit of liquorice root powder with honey and have it. You can even chew the mulethi sticks to treat a sore throat. The bronchodilator properties in liquorice aids in warding off respiratory illnesses like bronchitis, chronic asthma as well as the common symptoms of cold.
- Chamomile – The antioxidants present in a cup of chamomile tea helps in fighting against many such viral illnesses. This herbal tea can relieve you from throat pain and will also reduce cough due to its anti-spasmodic properties. One of the most recommended remedies for a common cold is rest and chamomile tea is mostly a favourite for inducing sleep. Moreover, chamomile is also known in relaxing sore muscles and hence providing relief from that pain. Inhaling steam with chamomile extracts is one of the ways it can be used to cure chest congestion. This traditional home remedy is also found as an essential oil.
- Swarnadhaanya or Mullein – Mullein leaves and flowers have been used traditionally to treat respiratory disorders such as asthma, bronchitis, common cold and viral infections. It can be used in the form of herbal tea. The demulcent property of mullein helps soothe the respiratory tract and therefore, helps a scratchy throat on its way out. It also exhibits expectorant property which will clear your respiratory tract of the stubborn mucus. Mullein serves as a beneficial remedy for such breathing problems.
- Adrak or Ginger – Adding 5 to 6 slices of ginger in your daily tea is the best healthy choice you can make today onwards. The antioxidants in ginger wash the toxins out of your body and are one of the best home remedies to cure a sore throat and cough. Apart from relieving you from the cold symptoms, including ginger in your daily diet can help reduce pains in your body. It also helps in improving digestion and in the process reduces gas.
- Kali Mirch or Black Pepper – One of the most widely used spices in the kitchen worldwide, black pepper has multiple benefits to keep you healthy as well as cure symptoms of viral infections. You can use it in your food daily or drink black pepper tea when you suffer from sore throat. Or you can also put crushed black pepper powder in a spoon of honey and have it. For years, it has been used as a home remedy for cough and cold-like symptoms. The piperine in black pepper also improves gut health and helps in keeping the infections at bay.
- Haldi Doodh or Turmeric Milk – Apart from being a rich golden yellow hot drink, this tonic is traditionally used for a gamut of health benefits. When suffering from a big bad cold or a similar symptom, it is generally advised to drink a glass of warm milk with turmeric powder mixed in it. It boosts your immune system and wards off illnesses due to its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. You can also add extra spices like cinnamon to enhance the taste as you prefer. Other than giving relief to your flu-like symptoms, it also alleviates pain, fights off inflammation and aids in heart health.
- Thyme – Flowers, leaves and oil of this herb usually have a variety of medicinal and culinary purposes. The vitamin C content in thyme boosts your immune system. It also contains anti-microbial properties which will shield you from infectious agents. More importantly, you can choose thyme tea over a normal one to get quick relief from a cough, sore throat or other cold symptoms.
- Eucalyptus – This essential oil is another herbal cure for your coughs. Inhaling steam with eucalyptus oil-infused works as a decongestant and helps loosen the mucus that settles in your chest. Not just a cough but it can also aid in bettering your respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.
Simple tips to shield yourself from corona virus and similar viral infections
- Wash your hands with soap and water when dirty, before and after preparing your food and also after using the washroom as well as after getting back home from outside. Ensure that you wash them when taking care of the sick people or after handling animals.
- Avoid exposure to infected or sick people and animals.
- Cover your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing to curb the transmission of infections.
- Throw the used tissue into a waste bin to avoid spreading of germs.
- Wash your vegetables, seafood products as well as meat products thoroughly and make sure what you consume is not under-cooked.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body free of toxins.
Here are a few Amrutam recipes you can use to prevent all the above-mentioned symptoms:
- Lozenge Malt – Remedy for respiratory complaints
- Amrutam Ayurvedic Sharbat with extracts of Amla a.k.a. Indian Gooseberry – For your dose of Vitamin C
- Flukey Malt – Remedy for viral infections
- Amrutam Gold Malt – A powerful immunity booster for all ages
- Amrutam Chawanprash – Ancient Ayurvedic Recipe for your overall health
Amrutam Kuntal Care- Do-it-yourself Hair SpaSale!
Kuntal Care Herbal Shampoo-Healthy, Natural & Dynamic HairSale!
Kuntal Care Hair Oil-For hair revitalizing and strengtheningSale!
Nari Sondarya Malt- Complete Care for Women’s Health and BeautySale!
Amrutam Face Clean Up | Do-it-yourself face & skin repairSale!
Kuntal Care Malt – Herbal Remedy for Hair careSale!
Amrutam Herbal Ubtan: Do-it-yourself skin treatmentSale!
BHRINGRAJ HAIR THERAPY – 2 in 1 Herbal Shampoo + ConditionerSale!
Keyliv Malt- A Complete Care for LiverSale!
Brainkey Gold Malt- A Natural Formula for your Mental ImmunitySale!
Amrutam Face Clean Up | do-it-yourself face & skin repair 30 ml travel packSale!
Zeo Malt- Key Remedy for Chronic Stomach ProblemsSale!