Do you have curly hair?
Curly Hair happens to be a blessing as well as a curse to many. Some love the curls and get their hair curled while some struggle with natural curls daily.
Natural curly hair is due to the twisted shape of the hair follicles, which means more the twists, more the curls! Curly hair can be voluminous, bouncy and looks beautiful, but it can often be unruly, dry, and quite difficult to manage and style it. They are more delicate than straight hair. The tighter the curls, more fragile the strands.
What are the main issues with Curly Hair?
- A major problem with curly hair is its tendency to frizz in a humid climate and curly hair is most prone to frizz.
- It is more prone to split ends and breakage.
- Brushing the hair can also worsen breakage of hair.
- When you let your curls loose for a long time, they get caught and tangled in each other, that can lead to knots and then breakage.
- Curly hair tends to be under moisturized due to the shape of curly hair and scalp tends to get oily.
- One can’t have the luxury of having bouncy long hair.
How to handle curly hair?
It’s not that difficult. Curls just require some extra love and extra care so that they look fab! Here are a few general tips and tricks for you to know how to handle the curls:
- Have a good haircut every 2 months. Split ends mark the beginning of frizz, so get your hair trimmed before it starts to control the frizz.
- Comb your hair from the bottom up always. If you start at the bottom you can detangle each knot gently while if you start top to bottom, you compound them all towards the bottom and you wrench it with your comb.
- Always use a wide-tooth comb to detangle and never a brush. Detangle your hair after hair wash when it is slightly wet with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb.
- Apply conditioner at the ends. Prevent moisture loss and deep condition your hair at least once a week to keep it hydrated.
- Using a combination of hot water and cold water is the correct way to wash frizzy hair. After washing, condition and then detangle it. The hot water cleanses your hair and cold water closes the pores and cuticles leaving your hair shiny and smooth.
- Avoid heat styling tools such as curling irons and also towel drying curly hair. Do not use a hairdryer.
Five Ayurvedic herbs that work as home remedies to manage curly hair:
- Oil – You may use Coconut oil, Amla oil, Neem oil, Olive oil or Shikakai oil. Go for a hot oil massage regularly. Massage your scalp and wrap it with a hot towel, wash off with a shampoo. Check out Amrutam’s Kuntal Care Hair Oil that will revitalize and strengthen your hair and Amrutam’s Kuntal Care herbal Shampoo which is absolutely herbal, sulphate & paraben free.
- Aloe vera – It is best to hydrate your hair naturally and it also smoothens the cuticles. Once a week, massage aloe gel in scalp and hair, wash off. Amrutam’s Kuntal Care Herbal Shampoo contains the goodness of Amla, Shikakai, Reetha, Bhringraj & Aloe that is a solution to all hair problems.
- Fenugreek Seeds – It contains lecithin that helps lock moisture in the hair. It helps in reducing the frizz by blocking out humidity. Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and make a thick paste using olive oil and yoghurt. Apply and rinse it off after some time.
- Hibiscus – It is an ancient remedy for frizzy, unmanageable hair. It conditions and seals the hair cuticles. You may use Hibiscus flowers, petals, leaves to make a paste and apply it on your hair. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash off.
- Bhringraj – Bhringraj improves hair quality. It helps in getting rid of split ends. It treats dry scalp, fosters hair follicles thereby prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth. You might consider hair masks or hair spa as they help in managing the hair and make it look shiny. So, do look at Amrutam’s DIY Hair Spa that helps in keeping your hair healthy.