From your childhood days, you must have seen an old, tall tree forming a canopy with its branches providing the shade you needed on a sunny afternoon after a long cycling adventure. The branches were none other than the arms of the giant Arjun tree. I remember reading my favourite novel sitting between the buttressed roots of Arjun.
Arjun commonly known as Partha has been around us since ages. The botanical name of Arjun is Terminalia Arjuna. It grows to a height of about 20-25 meters with smooth reddish bark. Arjun is predominantly found in the Himalayan region and hilly areas of Bengal, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh.
Ayurvedic Properties and Parts of Arjun Used
Partha is an Ayurvedic herb which is bitter in taste with Katu Vipak and Sheet Virya. It balances Kaphadosha and Pittadosha but it is known to increase Vatadosha. The Bark of Partha carries the secrets of its medicinal properties. Refer to our Dosha quiz to know more about your Dosha. Know your Dosha | Who are you? | Vatta, Pitta, Kapha – The Amrutam Quiz
Did you know?
Arjun can interact with blood thinners. Consulting a physician before taking Arjun along with anticoagulants is advised.
Why application of Arjun is important?
- Arjun is known to cure pimples and dry skin. Especially in seasons like this, taking care of your skin is as important as all the daily chores you do. Caress your face with this Ayurvedic recipe brought to you in the form of Amrutam Face Wash | Vedic Recipe for healthy skin!
- Arjun enhances blood clotting, wound healing and healing fractured bones. So applying it in powdered or liquid form provides comfort. In fractures, the paste of the bark of Arjun is applied after the bones are aligned properly.
- The bark of Arjun has anti-inflammatory properties. So, on sites of inflammation applying paste or liquid form of bark extract delivers aid.
- Arjun contains antioxidant properties which help improve the skin texture and protect the skin. Nonetheless, it activates sebum glands and prevents the skin from becoming too dry and scaly. At Amrutam, we have preserved the benefits of beauty in Nari Sondarya Malt- Complete Care for Women’s Health and Beauty
For hypersensitive skin, you can use paste or powder of the bark of Arjun mixed with honey or milk.
Heart to heart with Partha
Partha shows an astounding effect on heart diseases. It is known to reduce Angina (Chest pain). Kapha aggravates chest pain. Since Partha balances Kaphadosha in the body it keeps the heart safe. Even so, Partha strengthens the muscles of heart which enhances their proper pumping action. Partha improves HDL levels and increases tolerance to exercise which in turn effects on reducing blood pressure and prevents Angina Pectoris. Partha protects the heart muscles from damage by free radicals through its antioxidant property that is bestowed upon it by tannins and glycosides.
Take 10-20 ml of Arjun Kwath and add the same quantity of milk or water to it. Consume it once or twice daily to avoid chest pain (angina).
You can refer to Ayushkey Kwath – Immunity Booster article at our Amrutam daily reads.
Why consumption of Arjun is beneficial?
- Arjun has clotting properties. Hence, it is useful in treating bleeding piles and diarrhoea associated with piles. Arjun has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial that controls the intestinal infection. It also improves gut motility. Arjun prevents loss of electrolytes from the body.
- Arjun has a Kapha reducing property. Due to this, it cures cough when combined with Adulasa syrup. Nonetheless, it is very beneficial in treating patients with tuberculosis. Arjuna manages disorders associated with to respiratory systems like lung infections, asthama, bronchitis.
- Arjun decreases fat deposition in the body hence cures obesity and disorders related to diabetes obesity.
- Arjun is also used as an ingredient in refreshing drinks.
Arjun is believed to lower blood sugar levels. Although it helps to alleviate obesity related diabetes disorders, it is recommended to take the advice of a physician before adding Arjun along with your diabetes medicines.
- In Leukorrhea, (a gynaecological condition in which there occurs white discharge from the vagina) and menorrhagia (a gynaecological condition in which heavy menstrual flow occurs), bark skin extract is recommended. It also comforts cervical erosions.
- Infections can be easily cured with Arjun since it contains anti-bacterial property. However, Arjun masters in curing the Urinary tract infections(UTI). Consumption of Arjuna helps reduce the pain in UTI and increases the urine flow. It provides a cooling effect during urination due to its sheet(cold) property.
- Arjun promotes health and so does Amrutam Gold Malt & Tablets
Did you know?
Arjuna was introduced into Ayurveda as a treatment for heart disease by Vagbhata.
- Arjun is a constituent of some refreshing drinks like Amrutam Ayurvedic Sharbat With Falsa
Dosage of Partha
Bark juice (Swaras) : 10-20 ml twice daily.
Extract (Kwath) : 50 ml twice daily.
Extract with milk (Ksheerpak) : 50 ml twice daily.
Powder : 3-6 grams twice daily.
What does ‘too much Partha’ do?
Avoid consumption of Partha during pregnancy as some researches suggest it’s harmful effects on the baby. Breastfeeding period, pre-operation period that is almost two weeks prior to surgery is also not recommended for Partha consumption.
Did you know?
Partha bark mixed with honey helps to get rid of dull skin.
Some amazing facts about Partha
- In the Ashtanga Hridayam, Vagbhata mentions Partha in the treatment of wounds, haemorrhages and ulcers, applied topically as a powder.
- The gum of Partha is used medicinally.
- Juice of the bark is used as a tonic.
- Juice from the leaves is used traditionally to treat ear ache.
- Partha is a good herbal cure for Acne when it is mixed with honey and applied on Acne.
Who knew, the childhood mate we saw everyday and played around it had so much to offer. And yes, not to forget the beauty secrets that its medicinal properties sprinkle upon your skin. Keep your mind young, your heart is cared for by Arjun. What more? The refreshment of Arjun in beverages and drinks. Oh, the list is just never ending. So now that you know all the facets of Arjun, I am sure you must be excited to use it in your daily lifestyle. Go ahead!