Roses – the ‘King of Flowers’ is loved by all and has great commercial value.’ The sweet humble Gulkand has a whole lot of goodness in it. We all relish it after our meals along with betel leaf ‘Meetha Paan’ as a mouth refresher. Nonetheless, you can simply have it as it is.
Gulkand is made up of rose petals, the sweet preserve of rose petals. In simple words, it is a ‘Rose Petal Jam. Gul means flowers and Qand means sweet. It is made with just 2 ingredients – rose petals (Rosa damascena Mill L) & Sugar. It is considered to be healthy and used widely in Ayurvedic practices as it has several benefits. Ayurveda says rose petals help balance the Pitta Dosha.
The rose petals have abundant phenolic compounds which are the main constituents that attribute to their medicinal value. These phenolic compounds have a wide range of therapeutic properties such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antidepressant, etc.
Take a look at what makes Gulkand the best thing to eat for your body –
- Gulkand has the cooling property that helps in alleviating all heat-related problems such as tiredness, lethargy, aches and pains.
- People who have excessive heat bodies feel the burning sensations in palms and soles, gulkand acts as a natural coolant and reduces it.
- It can reduce oxidative stress. Gulkand is a powerful antioxidant and people of all types of constitutions can consume it, as per Ayurveda.
- Gulkand helps in digestion, reduces acidity and stomach burn. Also improves the health of gut flora and intestinal mucus. It aids in constipation; so pregnant women & kids can safely consume gulkand to relieve constipation.
- It’s rich in calcium. It boosts your energy levels because of the sugar content in it and Gulkand is also a good rejuvenator.
- Gulkand removes toxins from the body and gives a clear complexion to the skin. Thereby, it helps in controlling various skin issues – pimples, acne, boils, whiteheads, blemishes, etc. It’s said that having 2 tsp of Gulkand before hanging out in the sun, prevents sunburns, sunstroke & controls nose-bleeding.
- The rose petals soothe the heart and balance the mind. Gulkand’s coolant property helps you in providing a restful sleep. It calms your mind and helps beat stress Rose essential oil can rejuvenate you and has a sedative effect. It is also a potent aphrodisiac.
- Gulkand can strengthen the uterus, thereby increases the chances of conception.
- It helps in treating mouth ulcers and strengthens gums, teeth. Also reduces redness and inflammation of the eyes.
- Gulkand is effective in dysmenorrhea. It reduces menstrual cramping and also helps in treating excessive white discharge problems, heavy menstrual discharge.
Gulkand is an excellent tonic that keeps your metabolism healthy and fit. And one can consume Gulkand in many novel dessert ideas like shrikhand, jelly, ice-cream, shakes, peda, paan, thandai, barfi, lassi and cupcakes.
So, let us beat the heat with Gulkand this summer.